The ‘Practice Support Manual’ (PSM) brings together information that is relevant to dental practice from current legislation, professional regulations, guidelines and expert opinion, and presents it in a practical manner to:
- assist the smooth running of a dental practice;
- encourage the involvement of the whole team in practice management and organisation;
- facilitate staff induction and training;
- facilitate practice development planning;
- promote best practice;
- help compliance with current legislation and professional regulations;
- support the preparation for, and successful completion of, a practice inspection;
- help practices meet the National Standards for Dental Services (PDF);
- enhance patient care and safety.
The PSM provides advice on a range of non-clinical topics together with supporting tools, including template forms, information sheets, policies and checklists, to aid implementation.
Although the PSM is written primarily for principal dentists and practice managers who are responsible for managing a dental practice, the smooth running of a dental practice involves, and depends on, the whole team. Therefore, the content is of relevance to all members of the dental team, and all team members are encouraged to read the PSM. Checklists are provided to facilitate allocating responsibilities among the dental team, which might help to improve the efficiency of running a dental practice.