Updated information: Health Clearance and Immunisation17th August 2021
The PSM’s Health Clearance and Immunisation topic information and advice has been updated to reflect the integration of the previous guidance on health clearance of healthcare workers with the management of healthcare workers infected with bloodborne viruses. This new document is entitled ” Integrated guidance on health clearance of healthcare workers and the management of healthcare workers living with bloodborne viruses (hepatitis B, hepatitis C and HIV) (2020)”
– Clarification of requirements regarding standard or additional health clearances for “new” Health Care Workers (HCWs), dependant on duties.
– Inclusion of the commencement date after which evidence of health clearance for HCWs performing Exposure Prone Procedures (EPPs) is required.
– Amendments to the criteria requirements for HCWs living with BBVs, prior to performing EPPs.
– The addition of details of NHS Scotland Occupational health advice and guidance service.
– Highlighting the legal obligations surrounding risk control e.g. safe sharps procedure and local infection prevention and control policies.
The Health Clearance and Immunisation Policy template has also been updated.
It is recommended that you review your current polices and procedures to ensure that they align with the revised guidance and update them if necessary.