Dentists are responsible for the actions of their employed staff, and maybe responsible for the action of their self employed associates. Problems might arise as a result of:
- inadequate training;
- poor communication (e.g. lack of understanding of responsibilities within the dental team).
Examples of risk-reduction measures include:
- ensuring there are written contracts in place for employed and self employed staff
- ensuring ongoing registration and regulatory bodies
- confirming current and adequate indemnity cover with defences unions
- regular training of staff in all aspects of their job, including keeping continuing professional development up to date
- ensuring team members work within the GDC scope of practice for their role
- maintaining good communication among the dental team (see Communication).