Updated resources for Radiation Protection now available20th December 2019
The PSM’s Radiation Protection topic information, advice and templates, and other related resources have been fully updated in line with the Ionising Radiations Regulations 2017 (IRR) and Ionising Radiation (Medical Exposures) Regulations 2017 (IR(ME)R).
Regulatory changes include:
- the need, since 2018, for dental practices to register with the Health and Safety Executive for the use of x-ray equipment (previously notification was required).
- the practice’s appointed Medical Physics Expert should now be on the approved register (held by RPA 2000) to demonstrate recognition by the competent authority for medical exposures.
- additional procedures to provide guidance and dose constraints for the exposure of carers and comforters, and procedures for equipment quality assurance are also now required.
The updated resources include:
- updated PSM templates and checklists, including new templates for equipment testing records, RPS appointment and quality assurance.
- updated example Employer’s Procedures, including new example procedures for exposure of carers and comforters and equipment quality assurance. Templates within the procedures are also provided as separate files for convenience.
- new example protocols for exposures and example exposure charts.
A new ‘Guide to Radiation Protection Documentation for the Combined Practice Inspection ’ to help dental practices better understand and provide the evidence required to meet the radiation protection requirements of the Combined Practice Inspection (CPI) will be made available when the next version of the CPI is published in 2020.